We had a great start to the year at Music City Modern Quilters! 25 people were in attendance, 5 of which were visitors. Two of the visitors joined at the January meeting. If you see E.A. or Elizabeth at future meetings, make sure and say hi.
There was a lot of business discussed before the open sew:
We have schedule conflicts at the church for February, March, and April. Changes below.
1. February 18th: This meeting will be in a different location. Location: TBD. Once we know where, you will know. We are having a paper piecing workshop that day with two different approaches – one with freezer paper and one with just copier or foundation paper. We will send a class info sheet before the workshop.
2. March 18th: A mini-retreat in the Nashville area. If you read Stefanie’s note, she is working on logistics. You will be able to choose to stay over one night (Saturday) or come and go or just come for one day.
3. April 15 meeting moved to April 22nd. Will be at the church in Barr.
I will post two polls later today. Some explanation below.
1. Vote on who you would like to see as guest speakers this year. We are looking at two guests for workshops with options for lectures/trunk shows. The costs are about the same. For a lecture/trunk show that everyone can attend, members will attend at no cost. For workshops, which will have limited numbers (~20), guild members will have a member-only price and non-guild members a slightly higher price. Don’t worry about cost now--very, very reasonable.
2. Vote on whether you want to participate in a guild round robin. We hope for round robin teams of 4-6 depending upon the number of guild members who want to participate. The quilt you start will be yours to do with as you want—keep, gift, donate.
The basic idea is to begin with a center block or strip that you bring to the February meeting. You pass that off to someone in your group. That person adds strips to your quilt. You can bring pieces of fabric you like (or not) or provide color ideas, but the second person has total creative control over the quilt and can choose to use your color scheme/fabric or not. The quilt is passed around at each meeting among the group members until the quilt top is finished. The quilt owner is responsible for completion.
For sample rules, check this: https://catbirdquilts.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/round-robin-rules/
(Both polls are now open on the Facebook page)
Changed to a local mini-retreat over a weekend. See Stefanie's post. Still a long weekend to sew and socialize!
Please see Stefanie’s post re the retreat in 2018. We want to use the Five Star Retreat, but will need a deposit to hold it, so if you plan to go and can commit now, please send deposit money $125), so we can hold a weekend in 2018.
Show and Tell pictures: